Lesson Two — Verb Tenses: Simple Present
We use the Simple Present to express something that happens often. That can be a habit, a routine, a hobby, a daily event, or a scheduled event. Examples:
- The stores open at 9 a.m. every day.
- We usually go to work by car.
It rains a lot during the months of April and May.
Complete the sentences with one of the verbs: (answers will be provided at the end of the exercise)
watch like have speak know read drink eat ride.
1. My parents _______________the news on TV every day at 8 o’clock.
2. Paul_______a car but he _________a bicycle to work.
3. Many Brazilians ____________English nowadays, specially in big cities.
4. Amanda _________________everything but meat because she is a vegetarian.
5. Many people _______________beer at the beach.
Answers: 1(watch) 2(has, rides) 3(speak) 4(eats) 5(drink) 6(likes)
Observe the word order in these questions using Simple Present:
– Where do you usually spend your vacation?
– Does John always play basketball?
– Do you always have breakfast at the cafeteria?
In the next exercise you will make questions with the words in parentheses: (answerswill be provided at the end of the exercise).
1. (where / live / your family?)_____________________________________________
2. (go / usually / to the movies / what time/ you?)______________________________
3. (travel / how often / you?)______________________________________________
4. (often / rain / it / here ?)________________________________________________
5. (English / you / speak / always/ in class?)__________________________________
6. (how much / New York / a ticket / cost?)__________________________________
7. (what / girlfriend / do / your / in the evenings?)______________________________
Answers: 1(Where does your family live?) 2(What time do you usually go to the movies?) 3(How often do you travel?) 4(Does it often rain here?) 5(Do you always speak English in class?) 6(How much does a ticket to New York cost?) 7(What does your girlfriend do in the evenings?)
These exercises were written by Luiza Moura, who has a Master’s Degree in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) from UFPR. She is a private English instructor in Curitiba and can be contacted at www.luizamoura.com.br.