Lesson Five — Verb Tenses: Present Continuous Part 2
Write questions using the present continuous tense.
[Answers to the exercise are provided at the end.]
1. What / they / look at?
What are they looking at?
2. Where / he / go?
3. What / John / do?
4. Where / she / work?
5. What / Angela / eat?
6. Why / Jessica / cry?
Answers: 2(Where is he going?) 3(What is John doing?) 4(Where is he working?) 5(What is Angela eating?) 6(Why is Jessica crying?)
Use the present continuous in the following sentences:
1. They (read) the magazine.
They are reading the magazine.
2. Peter and Ann (play) soccer now.
3. Paul (sit) and Sue (stand).
4. Mary (write) a letter
5. Look! Somebody (swim) in the lake.
6. Where is Laura? She (take) a shower.
7. We (have) dinner now, can you call us later?
8. It (rain) now, the sun (shine).
9. Please, be quiet. I (study).
Answers: 2(Peter and Ann are playing soccer now) 3(Paul is sitting and Sue is standing) 4(Mary is writing a letter) 5(Look! Somebody is swimming in the lake) 6(She is taking a shower) 7(We are having dinner now) 8(It is raining now, the sun is not shinning) 9(I am studying).
Did you know?
The Present Continuous Tense can also be used for making arrangements for the near future? Study the examples:
1. Tom is working late next Tuesday.
2. My neighbours are having a big party tonight.
3. I am taking John to the airport next Sunday morning.
4. My friends are going to a concert on Thursday evening.
These exercises were written by Luiza Moura, who has a Master’s Degree in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) from UFPR. She is a private English instructor in Curitiba and can be contacted at www.luizamoura.com.br.